International Women’s Day 2022
IWD 2022 | Let’s all #BreakTheBias
Imagine a gender-equal world:
· A world free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination
· A world that’s diverse, equitable and inclusive
· A world where difference is valued and celebrated.
Together, we can forge women’s equity.
Working collectively, we can all #BreakTheBias.
#BreakTheBias is the theme of International Women’s Day 2022. So, to the growing number of women succeeding in health and safety:
· Believe in yourself and listen to your instincts
· Build a network you trust and reach out when you need to
· Be involved in IOSH and connect with your fellow members who will support you. The gender credibility gap exists, it is not in your head – your network will help you as you navigate this.
Proactively forging inclusive work cultures
All genders can be proactive in this – encourage your organisation to create opportunities to make women more visible and look for new ways to put yourself forward; know you are good enough.
We all approach issues differently and, with gender, comes difference. It’s OK to talk about and celebrate this difference. Be sure to walk the walk and talk the talk – live those values, so we can all be more visible.
Equity in the workplace is key
This is not just about maternity policies, flexible working policies, quotas or ticking a box which claims arrangements are in place. It’s about living these values all the way through our organisations, starting with our leaders who set the tone and culture.
When we raise up women, we raise up everyone. All genders should feel empowered to work flexibly, part-time, take maternity/paternity leave and outwardly embrace more feminine leadership skills. Gender balance leads to smarter decision-making in businesses and smarter decisions makes good business sense; in health and safety, this means we save more lives.
Working collectively to #BreakTheBias
Lots of data, resources and tools exist on why diversity is important and there is support out there. You are not alone and you have the support of people who have come before you – so reach out and connect.